Jim Morrison once famously said that some of his biggest mistakes in life were haircuts. Wasn’t he absolutely on point, Indian men as a general rule have terrible hair, I know I do and we all need some major hair care love.
We’ve already had an introduction to the changing times of men’s grooming schedule over the past years; in this one we’re going to put down some pointers for all you gentlemen to have your hair care game on point.
Gone are the days when the options for men to take care of their precious tresses were next to nil, with the advent of boutique start-up brands catering specifically to Men and hair care with a range of shampoos and oils and gels and waxes and conditioners, and bigger companies focusing their might to capture the attention of the male audience, this segment has become aware of the special requirements of their hair.
Remember the yesteryears, our mothers and grandmothers yelling in unison to massage in some oil to your hair. Well, It wasn’t without good wisdom; Oiling is that blanket that your hair needs.
Applying oil regularly on your scalp helps in reviving the lifeless strands by providing nourishment and hydration. Do take a stock of your hair type and quality before going in for a hair care regime.
Personally, I prefer virgin coconut oil about 2-3 times a week. For full disclaimer, I do have curly hair.
Shampoos, although packaged as gender specific, don’t really yet have a major tipping point in their favor for or against. That being said, there are several amazing brands packing some serious punch when it comes to taking care of the Men’s section. I won’t delve into the brands here, but instead of the interesting ingredients and the issues which they are taking care of. So gentlemen, keep a look out for these ingredients on the label next time you are out shampoo shopping.
- Almonds: Oils/Extracts/Part of Diet relieves itchy scalps.
- Caffeine: Keeps the scalp hydrated and mends that dull flaky mane. Proven to be a superb anti-dandruff agent.
- Walnuts: Removes Product build-up and exfoliates scalp. (Pollution and the sweat accumulation for those wearing helmets or other head gear, you guys know exactly what I am talking about.)
- Wheat Protein and Argan Oil and Craft Beer: Provides nourishment and shine.
- Ginger root, Birch bark, Oak moss: Takes care of dry, flaky, itchy scalps and provides hydration as well.
- Aloe Vera: Another wholesome ingredient which takes care of a host of issues for Men, nourishment and hydration are on top of that list.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Although yet not incorporated in shampoo, mixed with water makes a great DIY rinse for product build up. This one is a life hack which is tried and tested guys.
Hair care doesn’t have to end with a great shampoo; there are a host of products in the market now, which, cater to different lengths, textures and the kind of look that you want to sport.
- Pomade: Liberally used, true pomade will give you medium-to-high hold and shine when applied to damp hair. Works perfect for short and medium styles, especially if you need a little old-school business pomp.
- Wax: Apply wax to dry hair; works best for shorter styles and tussled medium looks, too. You’ll get medium hold and low shine.
- Gel: Go in for a drugstore gel, if you want your hair cemented to your head. We suggest a lighter-grade gels which don’t suffocate your hair follicle and still provide maximum hold and high shine when applied to towel-dried hair.
- Cream: Best advised for medium and longer styles. It gives you a light hold with little shine, and is best applied to towel-dried hair. Use a blow-dryer for slightly firmer hold.
- Fiber: Gives a matte finish, and should be applied to clean, dry hair. It’s ideal for textured, messy styles on guys with short and medium hair.
- Hairsprays: Use it as a follow-up to light- and medium-hold products and for medium and long styles.
Most importantly perhaps, the importance of a good healthy diet should not be overlooked when it comes to a holistic hair care regime. Incorporating iron rich vegetables and fruits will add that extra zing to your hair care.
There are some great products out there, and these are indeed exciting times that we live in. So be wise and careful while making choices and do not hesitate in trying out products.
Now that you have a rundown of a hair care regime, go forth gentlemen and tame that mane.